This performance is part of the Krannert Center Youth Series, school-day performances for public, private, and home schools, grades PreK-12.
Michelle Dorrance (MacArthur Fellow, Bessie Award winner, and Doris Duke Artist Award winner) is one of the most sought-after tap dancers of her generation and “one of the most imaginative tap choreographers working today” (The New Yorker). This highly interactive performance introduces students to the art of rhythm tap through an engaging mix of performance, conversation, and get-up-on-your-feet participation. Dorrance Dance aims to honor tap dance’s uniquely beautiful history in a new, dynamic, and compelling context. The company’s inaugural performance garnered a Bessie Award for “blasting open our notions of tap,” and the company continues its passionate commitment to expanding the audience of tap dance, an original American art form.
Connects to Illinois Learning Standards in Fine Arts, Social/Emotional Learning, and Science.
Recommended for grades 4 and up
Performance length: 70 minutes
- Julie & Nathan Gunn
- Holly Rosencranz & Warren Lavey
- Charles & Sarah Wisseman
Corporate and Community Silver Sponsor
- 217 Heating and Cooling, Inc.
Corporate and Community Bronze Sponsor
- University of Illinois Community Credit Union
Campaign for Young Audiences
- Phyllis & Kyle Robeson, Lead Sponsors
- Gertrude Brokaw McCloy Endowment
- Clarette & Zvi Ritz
- Susan & Michael Haney
- Dr. Donna Murray Tiedge & Robert Tiedge
- Anke & Paul Tucker
- Stevie Jay Broadcasting (Q96, ESPN 93.5, US1059, Christian FM 95.3)
Youth Series Programming
- The Spodek Family in memory of Bernard Spodek
- Ann H. Bender Youth Series Endowment
- The Susan Sargeant McDonald Endowed Fund for Youth Programming (Suzi was the founder/developer of the Krannert Center Youth Series)
- Jane & Christian Scherer
- Diane Gottheil
- Brenda & Stephen Pacey
- Jill & James Quisenberry
- Anne & David Sharpe
- The Rotary Club of Champaign
- Illinois Arts Council
- National Endowment for the Arts
Krannert Center thanks our Youth Series sponsors—performances at the Center could not happen without their support. We hope you will consider joining them, to ensure Krannert Center’s vibrancy now and for generations to come. Learn more about supporting the Youth Series »