For U of I Students
Discover stunning spaces, amazing artistry, and a down-to-earth vibe—and to sweeten the deal, U of I students never pay more than $10 a ticket!
Have a passion for the arts? For leadership opportunities? For making new friends? Krannert Center Student Association (KCSA) is an amazing group of student volunteers who exchange ushering and other advocacy work for free tickets and who serve as ambassadors for the arts throughout our campus.
The Krannert Center Ambassadors is a student marketing and outreach team that promotes student attendance at Krannert Center performances. Members also create promotional events and activities—like Push4Art! and Krannert Center at the Ike—that further connect Krannert Center and University of Illinois students.
The Krannert Center Student Advisory Board gives input as to how the Krannert Center student fee is utilized to best serve the needs and interests of students. The board meets once per semester, and often attends and supports KCSA and Krannert Center Ambassador events. Students who are passionate about the role of the arts on campus are encouraged to provide input through this board!
If you want to take your involvement further, consider becoming a donor. For just $25, you’ll get special invites, announcements, and discounts, while you help support the world-class performances at Krannert Center.
Breakfast, lunch, cake, coffee, repeat—whether you’re between classes and need a snack, want a central place to meet up with friends, or are looking for something different for a first date, you’re covered at Intermezzo cafe, open weekdays 8am to 3pm and before and after performances. Krannert Uncorked, a free weekly wine tasting (with bonus cheese and crackers) is a popular stop on Thursdays from 5pm to 7pm. Obviously, you must be 21 years old to sample, but the atmosphere is relaxed and all-ages friendly.
Have a passion for power tools? How about customer service or marketing or fundraising? Throughout the Center, opportunities exist for employment, internships, and graduate assistantships. Visit our employment section, browse our staff directory for departmental contacts, or if you don’t find what you’re looking for, send your question to us krannertcenter [at] illinois.edu. And if you’re thinking about a career in the arts, visit the College of Fine and Applied Arts. It’s never too late to change your major!
Arts Management + Leadership Internships
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts and the performing arts units of the College of Fine and Applied Arts (School of Music/Lyric Theatre @ Illinois, Illinois Theatre, and Dance at Illinois) are offering new internship opportunities for students in all disciplines interested in arts leadership and management. Internships offer students hands-on learning experiences in working with marketing and publicity, social media management, artist coordination, youth theatre and outreach, and producing and production. Register for either THEA 391 Professional Internship, or MUS459, and send a letter of interest to the instructors below, indicating top three internship preferences.
Julie Gunn (gunn [at] illinois.edu)
Terri Ciofalo (tciofalo [at] illinois.edu)
Grad or undergrad opportunity
Internships can be project-based or semester-based and can be tailored to match student schedules.
- Website content strategy and brand management
- Work with the performing arts producers to create content, support social media, and manage website activities.
- Publicity, Press, and Social Media
- Complete publicity and social media projects.
- Engagement Videographer/Photographer and Archivist
- Help to document activities, productions, and artist visits at Krannert Center.
- Informational Video Producer
- Support accessibility efforts at Krannert Center by creating informational videos to support visitors to the Center.
- Engagement/Youth Series Copy Writer
- Write educational materials to support Krannert Center youth activities.
- Advancement Office Assistant
- Conduct research and complete projects to support fundraising and advancement.
- Public Engagement Events
- Advancement Events—Help to organize donor parties and events at Krannert Center.
- Engagement/Youth Series—Participate in and help organize activities with K-12 students and teachers.
- Lyric Theatre @ Illinois Engagement—Work with the Lyric Theatre producers to plan activities and events to support productions.
- Krannert Center Special Events—Participate in planning special events and celebrations at Krannert Center.
- Guest Artist Relationships
- Help to organize travel and act as hosts to guest artists who visit Krannert Center.