Whether you are a high school student, college student, working professional, or retiree, we invite you to engage with Butler’s award-winning novel Parable of the Sower through our Community Read this season! The dystopian science fiction novel explores the physical and spiritual journey of African American teenager Lauren Oya Olamina who searches for freedom as she navigates an unstable society devastated by climate change and social inequality, among other life-changing experiences. Join a book club or reading group hosted by a collaborating library near you, participate in discussions and programs, and share your Parable experiences on social media to build a stronger reading community together! #parablereadcu2021
Champaign Central High School Library
- Champaign Central High School students and staff will meet throughout the fall semester to read and discuss Parable of the Sower together. Readers have access to print copies and multi-user access to the electronic version of the graphic novel. This group also plans to attend the Parable of the Sower opera performance together at Krannert Center in late February 2022.
Champaign Public Library: Douglass Branch
Champaign Public Library: Main Branch
The Urbana Free Library
- Parable of the Sower Book Discussion, October 14
- Parable of the Sower Book Discussion, October 28
- Parable of the Sower Book Discussion: A Graphic Novel Adaptation with author Damian Duffy, November 11
University of Illinois Residence Hall Libraries
- Parable of the Sower Book Discussion, November 3
- Parable of the Sower Book Discussion via Zoom, November 4
- Parable of the Sower Book Discussion, November 5
University Laboratory High School Library
- The Uni High Library will host two book discussions for interested students and staff, featuring edible treats and a raffle for Parable of the Sower books! The Uni High book discussions will mirror the discussions being held at The Urbana Free Library, and both libraries will co-host a role-playing game based on Butler’s novel!
University Library at the University of Illinois
Urbana High School Library
- The Urbana High School Library will host a monthly Parable of the Sower reading group starting October 13th! Student engagement is also taking place via flyers, morning announcements, and emails to teachers.
Learn more about Parable Path CU.
With deep gratitude, Krannert Center thanks all Patron Sponsors and Corporate and Community Sponsors.
If you believe in the life-affirming experiences that Krannert Center and the performing arts at Illinois make possible, please make a gift: email@example.com, KrannertCenter.com/Give, or faa.illinois.edu/giving.