This performance is part of the Krannert Center Youth Series, school-day performances for public, private, and home schools, grades PreK-12.
MacArthur Fellow and Bessie Award-winner Michelle Dorrance is one of the most sought-after tap dancers of her generation and “one of the most imaginative tap choreographers working today” (The New Yorker). Under her direction, Dorrance Dance upholds the traditions of tap dance, a uniquely American art form, while propelling them forward rhythmically, technically, and conceptually. Dorrance and her company will perform the impulsive, visually enticing Myelination, an exhilarating ensemble piece featuring original live music by Donovan Dorrance, Gregory Richardson, and Aaron Marcellus; the rarely seen, dramatic, Bessie Award-winning Three to One; and a revival of the sassy, funky Jungle Blues with score by Branford Marsalis. "Dorrance . . . pushes the boundaries of tap while exposing its true nature: that it is music" (The New York Times).
Connects to Illinois Learning Standards in Fine Arts, Social/Emotional Learning, and Science.
Recommended for grades 4 and up
Performance length: 70 minutes
- Julie & Nathan Gunn
- Holly Rosencranz & Warren Lavey
- Charles & Sarah Wisseman
Corporate and Community Silver Sponsor
- 217 Heating and Cooling, Inc.
Corporate and Community Bronze Sponsor
- University of Illinois Community Credit Union
Campaign for Young Audiences
- Phyllis & Kyle Robeson, Lead Sponsors
- Gertrude Brokaw McCloy Endowment
- Clarette & Zvi Ritz
- Susan & Michael Haney
- Dr. Donna Murray Tiedge & Robert Tiedge
- Anke & Paul Tucker
- Stevie Jay Broadcasting (Q96, ESPN 93.5, US1059, Christian FM 95.3)
Youth Series Programming
- The Spodek Family in memory of Bernard Spodek
- Ann H. Bender Youth Series Endowment
- The Susan Sargeant McDonald Endowed Fund for Youth Programming (Suzi was the founder/developer of the Krannert Center Youth Series)
- Jane & Christian Scherer
- Diane Gottheil
- Brenda & Stephen Pacey
- Jill & James Quisenberry
- Anne & David Sharpe
- Illinois Arts Council
- National Endowment for the Arts
Krannert Center thanks our Youth Series sponsors—performances at the Center could not happen without their support. We hope you will consider joining them, to ensure Krannert Center’s vibrancy now and for generations to come. Learn more about supporting the Youth Series »