This performance is part of the Krannert Center Youth Series, school-day performances for public, private, and home schools, grades PreK-12.
MacArthur Fellow and Bessie Award-winner Michelle Dorrance is one of the most sought-after tap dancers of her generation and “one of the most imaginative tap choreographers working today” (The New Yorker). Under her direction, Dorrance Dance upholds uniquely American tap traditions while propelling them forward rhythmically, technically, and conceptually. Dorrance’s fresh and innovative ETM: Double Down is a collaboration with longtime friend and company member Nicholas Van Young, in which his electronic tap boards create a stage-turned-instrument where footfalls can trigger a range of sounds. Dorrance’s team of eight dancers and three musicians delivers “funky grooves and joyous ones and acoustic tapping of terrific complexity and cogency” (The New York Times).
Connects to Illinois Learning Standards in Fine Arts, Social/Emotional Learning, and Science.
Recommended for grades 4 and up
Performance length: 60 minutes
- Julie & Nathan Gunn
- Holly Rosencranz & Warren Lavey
- Charles & Sarah Wisseman
Corporate and Community Silver Sponsor
- 217 Heating and Cooling, Inc.
Corporate and Community Bronze Sponsor
- University of Illinois Community Credit Union
Campaign for Young Audiences
- Phyllis & Kyle Robeson, Lead Sponsors
- Gertrude Brokaw McCloy Endowment
- Clarette & Zvi Ritz
- Susan & Michael Haney
- Dr. Donna Murray Tiedge & Robert Tiedge
- Stevie Jay Broadcasting (Q96, ESPN 93.5, US1059, Christian FM 95.3)
Youth Series Programming
- The Spodek Family in memory of Bernard Spodek
- Ann H. Bender Youth Series Endowment
- The Susan Sargeant McDonald Endowed Fund for Youth Programming (Suzi was the founder/developer of the Krannert Center Youth Series)
- Brenda & Stephen Pacey
- Jill & James Quisenberry
- Anne & David Sharpe
- Illinois Arts Council
- National Endowment for the Arts
Krannert Center thanks our Youth Series sponsors—performances at the Center could not happen without their support. We hope you will consider joining them, to ensure Krannert Center’s vibrancy now and for generations to come. Learn more about supporting the Youth Series »